The AEF Academic Advisory Council
The AEF-AAC is an advisory council and as such serves to advise and make recommendations to AEF. Its mission is to ensure that AEF provides distinctive academic programs of high quality.
MISSION AND GOALS
The mission of the AEF Academic Advisory Council is to ensure that AEF provides distinctive academic programs of high quality.
- To advise AEF on best practices for Study Abroad
- To provide advice in the development, implementation, and evaluation of academic policies and programs
- To establish and maintain an evaluation and monitoring process to ensure consistent delivery of a high quality study abroad program
- To advise AEF on how to structure its Study Abroad program in a way that is most accessible to U.S. institutions of higher education
- To support AEF’s efforts to expand access to their programs and provide inclusive excellence
The AEF Advisory Council (AAC) is made up of up to nine members from institutions of higher education, two of whom initially will be from ELON University, North Carolina which serves as AEF’s School of Record (SOR). In addition, AEF’s Academic Director and at least one other staff member from AEF will sit in on the AAC meetings. An AEF staff person will take minutes at the meetings and make them available in advance of the subsequent meeting for approval.
The initial AAC membership will be determined by AEF in consultation with the School of Record. Once established, AAC members will determine a process to assure a diverse and sustainable AAC membership. The AAC will seek diversity on the board considering criteria including, but not limited to, the following:
- Demographic diversity of the membership
- Diversity of types of institution represented
- Diversity of region within the USA
- Several members to be drawn from major sending institutions
Unless changed by the AAC, members will serve for 3 years with the possibility of serving a second three-year term. For the initial nine members there will be staggered terms so that the AAC will ultimately be able to bring in new members on a regular basis. A retiring member may not be re-elected until she or he has been off the AAC for at least three years.
A candidate for membership should provide information to AEF and the AAC regarding other councils, guilds, or boards on which they serve so that there can be an assessment of possible conflicts of interest. If deemed necessary, AEF and the Chair of the AAC might reach out to candidates that have potential conflicts of interest to get more information about involvement with other study abroad providers.
SCOPE OF AAC RESPONSIBILITY
The AAC is an advisory council and as such serves to advise and make recommendations to AEF. AEF may from time to time also ask the AAC to make particular decisions on behalf of AEF. Examples of topics that the AAC might consider include:
- Academic policies including attendance, grade grievance, contact hours, etc.
- Admissions requirement for study abroad students
- Consideration of new courses and programs
- Website related to the study abroad program
- Distinctions between study abroad programs and degree programs
- Integration of curricular and co-curricular activities
- High impact practices
- Possible partner schools for AEF
AEF determines what information it may choose to provide to the AAC to assist them in its advisory role and all information provided to the AAC will be held in confidence by AAC membership.
The AAC shall have a chair and will determine what other officers it may need, if any, to facilitate its efficient operation. The AAC will also determine the tenure of the officer(s) position(s). The Chair will be initially selected by AEF and the SOR, but after the first year officers will be determined by the AAC. The Chair sets the agenda for and facilitates all AAC meetings in collaboration with AEF.
Dean of Global Education, Isabella Cannon Global Education Center Elon…
Dean of Elon College, The College of Arts and Sciences.…
Associate Vice Provost, International Affairs Wright University
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Professor of Mathematics…
Executive Director of Global Engagement and International Programs Drake University
Professor, Director & Chair Dept of Music & Performing Arts Professions  New…
Teaching Professor and Professor of the Practice, Faculty of the…
Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla (BUAP)