Our students are not tourists. They are citizens of Florence, even if only temporarily. That’s why they don’t live in hostels, but in typical Florentine apartments, all of them within a walking distance from the school. And as the whole historic center is easily walkable, they will leave their Study abroad experience continuously and fully immersed into the Italian culture. They buy their own grocery, they cook, they stop by in an Italian bar for a cappuccino, they solve everyday problems like any other inhabitant of the city.
AEF staff is at complete disposal for any need and information, from the very beginning of the journey:
Travel to Florence
Florence is located in the middle of the country: an ideal position to reach any other Italian city (Rome 1h 35’, Milan 1h 45’) and all European capitals. You can arrive by plane to Vespucci Airport or by train to Firenze Santa Maria Novella station. AEF will organize a pick-up service, when requested.
AEF will provide an in-country orientation for the students after their arrival, to include the following:
• Orientation to the apartments, including instructions on heating, appliances, trash, security, mail, emergency and maintenance procedures.
• Tour of the area immediately around the apartments including shopping, ATM machines, pharmacy, transportation options, etc.
• A guided walking tour of the city
• Orientation regarding security issues specific to Florence (emergency phone numbers, expectations in the community)
• Introduction to the AEF staff and their roles
• Assistance in securing the Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit to Stay) and any other necessary documentation. (This service is outsourced at an extra cost for all the students)
AEF will ensure the availability of a dedicated AEF staff member (24 hours a day) who is the point person for problems and concerns of the students and/or Faculty in Residence. It will be explained to the students during orientation that the AEF staff member should be called only in an emergency. Otherwise, concerns can be discussed with AEF during regular office hours.
Please be advised that students’ personal belongings are not insured under AEF’s company policy, and therefore AEF can assume no responsibility for any claims for personal belongings. All students are responsible for obtaining their own personal health insurance and travel insurance.