Our students are not tourists. They are citizens of Florence, even if only for a short time. That’s why as an AEF student you won't live in hostels, but in a typical Florentine apartment, within walking distance from the school. And as the whole city center is easily walkable, you will live your Study abroad experience continuously and fully immersed into the Italian culture.
You will buy your own grocery, cook your meals, stop by in an Italian bar for a cappuccino, solve everyday problems like any other resident of the city.
AEF staff can always be reached for any need and information, from the very beginning of the journey.
Health and Safety
AEF cares about its student community, and offers a 24/7 emergency phone service. AEF’s Student Life Representative and Directors are trained, experienced and always available to help and support their students.
We know that Study Abroad is only possible in a healthy and safe environment: that is why AEF adheres to high Quality & International Risk Management standards, implementing Emergency Protocol Procedures compliant with Italian laws and those of AEF United States partners, and with students’ safety and wellbeing at heart.
Travel to Florence
Florence is located in the center of Italy: an ideal position to reach any other Italian city (Rome 1h 35’, Milan 1h 45’ by train) and all major European capitals. You can arrive by plane to Vespucci Airport or by train to Firenze Santa Maria Novella station. AEF will organize a pick-up service, when requested.
AEF will provide an in-country orientation for the students after their arrival, to include the following:
• Orientation to the apartments, including instructions on heating, appliances, trash, security, mail, emergency and maintenance procedures.
• Tour of the area immediately around the apartments including shopping, ATM machines, pharmacy, transportation options, etc.
• A guided walking tour of the city.
• Orientation regarding security issues specific to Florence (emergency phone numbers, expectations in the community).
• Introduction to the AEF staff and their roles.
• Assistance in securing the Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit to Stay) and any other necessary documentation (this service is outsourced at an extra cost for all the students).
AEF will ensure the availability of a dedicated AEF staff member (24 hours a day) who is the point person for problems and concerns of the students and/or Faculty in Residence. During orientation, it will be explained what can be considered an emergency and what is not, as the AEF staff member should only be called in a case of a real emergency. Other concerns can be discussed with AEF during regular office hours.
Please be advised that students’ personal belongings are not insured under AEF company policy, and therefore AEF can assume no responsibility for any claims for personal belongings. All students are responsible for obtaining their own personal health insurance and travel insurance.